How Testosterone Affects Men
Testosterone plays a crucial role in a man’s health, responsible for fertility, muscle mass, sex hormone, bone growth, fat distribution, etc. In other words, it helps men to maintain their masculinity. But too much or too little testosterone in the body can cause health issues.
An imbalance in testosterone levels can lead to infertility, low sperm count, erectile dysfunction, muscle loss, increased body fat, loss of body hair, and low sex drive. It can be genetic, but factors such as age, diet, medical conditions, or lack of exercise can cause it.
However, when men age, testosterone levels decrease. But various supplements are available that can help boost testosterone levels.
Let’s have a look more into the details.
What Is The Role Of Testosterone?
The role of testosterone is to regulate sex drive, production of sperm, increase muscle mass and strength, promote healthy bone growth and production of red blood cells.
During puberty, the testosterone level increases, which causes bodily changes such as hair growth, deeper voice, developing libido.
In teen years, the testosterone level is at a peak, but after 30, it starts decreasing, which is normal. But more than physical changes in the body, it also plays a more significant role in overall health.
As such, it helps with metabolism to burn extra fat. And men with low levels of testosterone are more prone to obesity than those with normal levels.
Low testosterone levels can cause the body to store more fat and decrease bone density, causing bone fractures. It can also cause hair loss, reduction in muscle mass, exhaustion, irritation, mood swings, increase in breast size, weak bones, lack of sleep.
On the other hand, producing too much testosterone can also lead to low sperm count, fluid retention, muscle damage, weight gain, high blood pressure, blood clotting, aggression, headaches. It mainly occurs due to the overuse of anabolic steroids, especially in athletics and bodybuilders.
How Can I Raise My Testosterone Levels?
To raise your testosterone levels, you can try some of these natural remedies:
- Proper exercise: Exercise is an all-rounder solution. Study shows that people with higher testosterone levels exercise regularly.
- Healthy diet: Your diet can have an impact on your testosterone and other hormones. Add protein, carb, healthy fat, and whole foods to your diet, which is beneficial.
- Good sleep: Good sleep is equally important as much as proper exercise and a healthy diet. A study found that sleeping for only 5 hours at night reduces testosterone by 15%.
- Reduce stress: It’s a well-known fact that stress is bad for health. When you’re stressed, it releases cortisol which results in decreasing the testosterone level. It can also lead to excess eating storing extra fat in your body, which lowers testosterone level.
- Take supplements: Natural ingredients like Vitamin D, Zinc, Ashwagandha, Magnesium, Fenugreek, DHEA help boost testosterone levels primarily found in supplements.
- Avoid estrogen-like chemicals: Exposure to harmful chemicals like Parabens or BPA primarily found in personal products can negatively affect your levels.
What Are The Foods That Boost Testosterone?
Some of the best foods that boost testosterone levels are:
- Ginger: Ginger contains medicinal properties and is popularly used, which is also known to boost fertility in men. A study found that a daily dose of ginger supplement for three months increases tests levels by 17.7%.
- Tuna: Tuna is rich in protein and low in calories, a healthy source of vitamin D that naturally boosts testosterone levels. Having at least two or three servings in a week can be beneficial.
- Oysters: Oysters contain a good amount of zinc which is essential for healthy sperm. Zinc deficiency can cause infertility or hypogonadism failing to produce testosterone.
- Pomegranate: The antioxidants present in pomegranate can improve heart health and reduce stress. A study found that it can boost testosterone levels. They tested sixty volunteers for 14 days to drink pomegranate juice which increased the testosterone level to 24%.
- Green vegetables: Green vegetables like spinach and kale can help boost testosterone levels because they are rich in minerals and magnesium. A study found that testosterone levels in participants increased after taking supplements for four weeks that contain magnesium.
- Egg: Eggs are rich in protein, vitamin D, and cholesterol which can help boost testosterone and also increase muscle mass.
- Salmon: Salmon is rich in omega-3, vitamin B, and magnesium, which help boost testosterone levels.
- Lemons: Citric fruits are beneficial in boosting testosterone levels, and lemon is one such fruit that helps lower cortisol levels and produces testosterone. It contains vitamin A which is essential to reduce estrogen levels and increase the production of testosterone.
What Happens When A Man Takes Testosterone?
Most men take testosterone supplements to boost their metabolism and increase muscle mass because with age, testosterone level decreases which also causes excess fat to get stored in the body.
Low testosterone levels can cause less sex drive, depression, low energy, stubborn fat, stress, etc. And it’s natural to want to increase your testosterone level to improve your sex drive or physical health.
Testosterone supplements are meant to increase testosterone levels in the body, which also helps in:
- Improving overall health
- It helps build stronger muscles and strength
- Provides more energy and stamina
- Better mental health and focused
- It helps get better sleep improving mood swings
- Shedding excess stored body fat
- Boosts confidence
- Helps metabolic rate
- Better sex drive and improving sexual performance
- Faster muscle recovery
Testosterone supplements are much safer because there’s no need to inject illegal steroids to increase your strength or muscle mass. It can cause adverse side effects and chronic diseases.
The ingredients primarily present in testosterone boosting supplements are fenugreek, vitamin D, zinc, ashwagandha, magnesium, vitamin B, etc., which all work together to provide effective results.
However, these supplements can sometimes cause side effects such as sleep apnea, increased heart problems, enlarged breasts, etc.
But these supplements don’t give the same results, nor does it work the same for everyone. The results can vary depending on one’s health conditions and body.